I'm a few days late on this but Unfettered (an anthology short story from myself, Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Brooks, Brandon Sanderson, and a whole lot more is now released in the United Kingdom. For those that might not know, this was originally put together to help Shawn Speakman pay off a huge medical debut -which he now has!!
The UK publisher who picked up this work (published in the US by Shawn Speakman's Grim Oak Press) is none other than Orbit. You can read more here.
And...if you want to win a free copy of the audio version of this book - I still have a contest going on for a few more days - ends February 28.
This UK edition even has a bonus story written by Shawn and to sweeten things even a bit more, Orbit has put it out at a special introductory price.
My story in the anthology is called, The Jester. It follows Royce and Hadrian while they escort a pig farmer and a candle maker on an expedition that should be easy, but as always they find themselves in too deep. Here's a bit about my story:
WHO WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH?
Stop me if you’ve heard this one. A thief, a candle maker, an ex-mercenary, and a pig farmer walk into a trap…and what happens to them is no joke. When Riyria is hired to retrieve a jester’s treasure, Royce and Hadrian must match wits with a dwarf who proves to be anything but a fool. Difficult choices will need to be made, and in the end those who laugh last do so because they are the only ones to survive.
This is a standalone short story of 7,200 words. No prior knowledge of The Riyria Revelations or The Riyria Chronicles is required to enjoy it to its fullest, making this a perfect introduction for new readers or a chance for Riyria veterans to spend a little more time with old friends. The Jester is a story of adventure, bonds of friendship, and a recognition that the choices we make dictates the future we find.
If that sounds interesting, you can listen to the audio version of The Jester for free. It's narrated by the incomparable Tim Gerard Reynolds who has narrated all 8 of the Riyria books. Here are some links for easy access: US | UK.
As I mentioned, The Jester is just one of the stories in this great anthology. Here is a full list of all the awesome contributors:
- Imaginary Friends by Terry Brooks
- How Old Holly Came To Be by Patrick Rothfuss
- The Old Scale Game by Tad Williams
- Game of Chance by Carrie Vaughn
- The Martyr of the Roses by Jacqueline Carey
- Mudboy by Peter V. Brett
- The Sound of Broken Absolutes by Peter Orullian
- The Coach with Big Teeth by R.A. Salvatore
- Keeper of Memory by Todd Lockwood
- Heaven in a Wild Flower by Blake Charlton
- Dogs by Daniel Abraham
- The Chapel Perilous by Kevin Hearne
- Select Mode by Mark Lawrence
- All the Girls Love Michael Stein by David Anthony Durham
- Strange Rain by Jennifer Bosworth
- Nocturne by Robert V.S. Redick
- Unbowed by Eldon Thompson
- In Favour with Their Stars by Naomi Novik
- River of Souls by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
- The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan
- The Duel by Lev Grossman
- Walker and the Shade of Allanon by Terry Brooks
- The Unfettered Knight by Shawn Speakman
- The Twilight Dragon by Shawn Speakman (bonus story for UK edition)