Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hugo Voters, I'm Eligible...who knew?

Well apparently one of my readers did (thanks Samuel Montgomery-Blinn from Bull Sec Magazine), who wrote me today saying he thought I was eligible.  I haven't paid much attention to "Awards Season" because my books were previously published and that makes me ineligible for most of the awards.  However the:


John W. Campbell Award for 
Best New Writer


doesn't have such a stipulation.  Apparently as long as you have your first "professional" work published in 2011 or 2012, you are paid a professional rate, and have more than 10,000 copies in print you are eligible.  The fact that it was previously "unprofessionally published" doesn't matter...score!

In any case it's pretty late, and a lot of people have already voted, but I thought I would at least make a post just on the off chance that I do get a few votes (although I'm not holding my breath). The Campbell Award is not a Hugo but it is voted at the same time as a Hugo.  

Voting is open from now until March 10 and you must be a member of at least one of these:
  •  LoneStarCon 3 (the 2013 World Science Fiction Convention)
  • Loncon 3 (the 2014 Worldcon) 
  • be a member of Chicon 7 by January 31, 2013
As I said, I'm rather late to the game as nominations started on January 2 and the authors with the most number of votes will become finalists.  There are many who are eligible if you wan to see a complete list you can go to this link.  If you want to learn how to vote, you can check it out here.

So for any of those undecided that liked (or even loved) the Riyria stories, please go vote this is my last year for eligibility and it would be a big kick just to make it to the finalists stage.

2 comments: