Sunday, March 1, 2015

Authors Helping Authors: Kameron Hurley

Last week I told you about Courtney Schafer and her The Labyrinth of Flame Kickstarter. It's fully funded by the way, and heading for some nice stretch goals. If you haven't checked it out, please do. Today, I want to tell you about another author that I think is worth taking a look at.  It's Kameron Hurley, who has two series:

  • Bel Dame Apocrypha - A completed trilogy that finished up in April 2014 
  • The World Breaker Saga - A new series that started in August 2014
Now for the record, I've not yet read any of Kameron's books...although I've bought all four of them to support her. So, why am I recommending her work and asking you to "check it out"?

Well, first off Kameron has a TON of accolades.  Authors such as Kate Elliott and Lauren Beukes have sung her praises. Then there are the awards:
  • Winner: Sydney J. Bounds Award for Best Newcomer
  • Winner: Kitschy Award for Best Debut Novel
  • Nominated: Arthur C. Clarke Award
  • Nominated: Hugo Award
  • Nominated: Nebula Award
  • Nominated: Locus Award 
  • Nominated: BSFA Award for Best Novel. 
  • Honor List: Tiptree Award
She also has short stories curated by some of the biggest magazines in genre fiction including Lightspeed, EscapePod, and Strange Horizons. 

All that tells me she's an amazing writer that really cares about her craft. But, that's not the reason I'm singling her out for one of my Authors Helping Author's Post.  No, my reason is simple...she's doing everything right, and yet still struggling.  Kameron is no stranger to self-promotion, and has launched monumental efforts each time her books release.  Plus, she is writing and releasing frequently. She reminds me a lot of Robin who took a "failure is not an option" attitude when starting my own career. 

I have no doubt Kameron will be more well known in the future, and anything I can do to help get the word out about her I'm happy to. I'm not one to say "BUY THIS BOOK" but I do want to let people know Kameron and work exists.  Go checkout some sample chapters. Read her blog. And if it looks like something you might be interested in, then by all means plunk down some money. This business isn't easy, but when someone like Kameron is doing it all right, that's worth supporting.  I hope you find one of her books right up your alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment