For those who aren't aware, reddit has something known as an AMA, which stands for Ask Me Anything. I've done a few of them before, and I've always enjoyed the great questions that are posed. Today I'm doing another one and you can stop by from this link.I've always been vocal about my views on things like the state of publishing today, the self verses traditional publication wars so I'll be happy to talk about that, my writing process, or any of my books. To get the AMA kicked off here are the bullets I outlined at the top of the thread:
- My debut books, The Riyria Revelations are epic fantasy. They started out at a small press, then I self-published, and in late 2011 Orbit picked up the series and re-released the six books as three, two-book omnibus editions so each one has two full stories in it.
- My second series, The Riyria Chronicles, came into being because my wife got depressed because Revelations was over. It is a prequel and can be read before or after The Riyria Revelations
- Hollow World is actually my fourth science fiction novel, but the first one I've published. It wasn't a book I intended to write, but once the idea came to me, I just couldn't write anything else until I purged it from my head.
- I've written 23 novels and published 9. I spent more than a decade trying to break into publishing, and when I got no where after 14 novels I quit writing altogether. When I started writing again, it was only on the condition that I wouldn't seek publication. It was my wife who took up the publication work and eventually got me "out there."
- Hollow World has a really weird publishing history. It was turned down by Orbit, had a really high advance offered by another publisher that I turned down, had a really successful Kickstarter, and is now released as a hybrid...print version from Tachyon Publications, audio book from Recorded Books, ebook by myself.
- Some of the reasons I kept the ebook rights is so I could distribute DRM free, bundle ebooks for print/audio purchases, and provide multiple formats so people can read on any platform they want.
Feel free to ask me anything...that includes questions about publishing, writing, or any of my projects. I look forward to hearing from you. I hope some people will come on over - so I don't sit all alone hearing the crickets chirp.